Wednesday, July 28, 2010

New VBAC guidelines

I have been so busy enjoying my vacation that I almost forgot to blog about some significant changes regarding childbirth in the US. Right on the heels of the Midwifery Modernization Act, ACOG- The American College of Obstetricians and Gynocologists have put out new guidelines and recommendations for VBAC- Vaginal Birth after Cesarean.
A quote from their press release states: "Attempting a vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC) is a safe and appropriate choice for most women who have had a prior cesarean delivery, including for some women who have had two previous cesareans."
Furthermore, they say :"In addition to providing an option for those who want the experience of a vaginal birth, VBAC has several potential health advantages for women. Women who achieve VBAC avoid major abdominal surgery, resulting in lower rates of hemorrhage, infection, and a shorter recovery period compared with elective repeat cesarean delivery. Additionally, for those considering larger families, VBAC may avoid potential future maternal consequences of multiple cesarean deliveries such as hysterectomy, bowel or bladder injury, transfusion, infection, and abnormal placentation such as placenta previa and placenta accreta."
Basically, doctors are admitting what the research has shown all along; that VBAC is a safe option for most women. What remains to be seen is if this statement will actually change the standards of practice of most OBs. Is it still possible to change the high rate of repeat cesareans and to allow more woman a trial of labor? I guess we will have to wait and see. To see the full press release, just click here. 

1 comment:

  1. I found you in one of those random blogosphere ways. I read You Get What You Get and saw your comment on there and thought "frum doula"... I gotta read that blog! I too am working on my doula certification, although it's rather slow going with a still-nursing baby.

    I love this post, especially since I have a client due at any moment who wants to have a VBA2C. She is a friend from our community, so I will be her second doula -- I suggested she get someone more experienced with VBACs, and then I will be there for additional support.

    I see you're in Israel now -- I hope you're enjoying you trip. I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete