Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Monday Night Knitting Club

I think I have mentioned previously that I have been knitting for the past year and a half. I find it incredibly relaxing as well as satisfying to actually produce something that does not get undone within a span of a few minutes likes all my other daily activities ie laundry, dishes, food.
Our synagogue started a charity knitting club right around the time that I began to knit and so I am an active and enthusiastic member. We meet once a month to knit and chat. We discuss future projects and divvy up yarn.
Mostly we knit hats for IDF soldiers in Israel as well as baby blankets and afghans for the families of the former Gush Katif. I am working on a cute baby blanket with my friend S and it is almost done. I have to admit that I been a bit lax on the knitting for charity front because I have been busy knitting for myself- a fabulous hat in purple and a light blue hooded sweater that is almost done. But I'm digressing.
Last night the ladies convened at our apartment. It was an interesting group of women who span all age groups and different stages of life, from singles to grandmothers. We had chocolate chip cookies and melon and a fun time was had by all. It is really nice to just sit around and talk to people without distractions. If we are honest with ourselves, how often do we really do that? Sit still for longer than 10 minutes at a time and carry on a real conversation? Most of us, including me, could stand to do that more often.
Oh and just for fun- honorable mention to whoever figures out the literary reference in the title of my post.
PS: I am really skeptical about this whole snow storm thing? Usually when there is all this hype and hysteria, nothing happens. I guess we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment