Saturday, March 6, 2010

Solo parenting for a week

As I am writing this post, my husband is on his way to the airport to catch a flight to Israel. He will be back Friday morning, which leaves me alone with my three wonderful and high-energy kids for 5 whole days.
Part of me is just really jealous. Most of my family lives in Israel and we try to visit at least once a year. It seems kind of unfair that he will be having a little reunion dinner with my siblings without me. But I am also really happy for him. He is going for work so he will be really busy, but it will also be a nice break for him and a chance to reconnect with family and friends. And just be in Israel. Anyone who has been there understands what I mean.
As I mentioned, my family is in Israel and Europe so it's just me and the kiddos. And whatever babysitting help I decide to get. The truth is that my husband is a pretty busy guy and I don't really depend on him for much in terms of childcare during the week. Sunday is our family day but other than that I have the wake up-get dressed-school-after school activity-dinner-bath-bedtime routine pretty much down pat. It's more the adult company and conversation that I miss. Talking to 4, 3 and 1 year olds all day can make you feel like you are losing your mind at some point. The apartment is also really quiet at night and there is noone to ask to change a diaper or get a 2am water bottle for a screaming child.
What I usually end up doing when my husband is away is pampering myself a bit more. Ordering take out for dinner if I am not in the mood to cook, getting a babysitter to go out one night, etc. Whatever it takes to make things a bit easier and to stay calm.
And I make him call me at least twice a day for an extended phone conversation/chance to vent about everything going on on this side of the ocean.
Tomorrow is really the hardest day because it's Sunday and I have to figure out a way to entertain everybody for a full day. Fortunately the weather is supposed to be nice so the plan is to go to the park and tire everybody out. Once we get back to our school schedule, we should be fine. I'll post updates as the week progresses. Shavua tov!

No comments:

Post a Comment