Sunday, May 13, 2012

Quiet

Almost a year ago I posted about an article in the NY Times about introversion. The author, Susan Cain, argued that introversion and shyness is often viewed as negative or even a pathology in American culture, and there is vert litte focus on all the positives introverts bring to the table.
 Cain has expanded her research into a whole book, one that I am thoroughly enjoying. In "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that can't stop talking," Cain makes a lot of great points. Originally I was going to wait until I finished the book to write about it, but there were just so many things I related to, I felt I had to share some of it.
My husband is making fun of me for being so excited about the book, but it is very rare to come across something that really explains so many things about you and truly resonates. I told him if he really want to "get" me, he should read it too. For example:
-Introverts are often more comfortable expressing themselves in writing rather than face-to-face. That is also why an introvert may not like to share a lot of his feelings in real life, but can be very open through social media such a blogs, facebook, etc. I wonder who that could be referring to :)
- Studies have shown that introverts are something that is called "highly-reactive", which means that their bodies respond to stimulation more intensely. Practically, what happens is that they can be easily over-stimulated and overwhelmed in certain situations.
-Introverts are often creative and work well on their own rather than in groups. They may be attracted to professions such as writing which are solitary pursuits and do not require interactions with others.
-Introversion and shyness are not the same thing although they sometimes do go together. And it is false to say that introverts do not like people  (something that I have actually been accused of on occasion) rather they like to interact with people on a smaller scale, meaning one-to one, rather than at a cocktail party.
I still have more to read but I am learning a lot and also feeling validated about things I have felt or known about myself for a very long time.If you are an introvert, are related to one or often interact with them, I highly recommend this book.
Also, Happy Mother's Day to all. Rather than sharing my thoughts, I will direct you to some of my favorite bloggers- Amber of Crappy Pictures on how to show appreciation and Mama Birth  on why she wants her children to give her something on Mother's Day. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment