Thursday, May 20, 2010

Book recommendation


I just spent the last 2 days reading The Official Lamaze Guide- Giving Birth with Confidence as part of my preparation for my childbirth education certification. I have to admit I was a bit skeptical at first and wondered what the point of reading yet another birth book was, being that I have done quite a lot of reading already.
I was pleasantly surprised. The authors do a great job of outlining the basic process of labor and childbirth. They also have interesting chapters about wellness in pregnancy and choosing a care provider and place of birth.
I really liked their explanation of the purpose of pain in labor. They explain it much more eloquently, butin short- pain ensures that you know your baby is coming and can prepare yourself. It also forces you to move and work with the pain. This movement is exactly what the baby needs to move lower down in the birth canal and to be positioned optimally for birth. Lastly, the pain and the way you cope with it sets off the hormonal interplays of oxytocin, endorphin and prolactin that are necessary for the baby to be born. Pretty cool stuff.
The authors also quote a lot of studies and back most of their claims up with scientific research.
They intersperse birth stories amongst the chapters which always makes things more entertaining. All in all an informative and interesting read. I would definitely recommend it to expectant parents because it covers most topics and so they would be able to get all the information they need in just one compact book.

No comments:

Post a Comment