Thursday, May 27, 2010

Babies bounce back

On Sunday, Baby M took a tumble and hit his nose. His loud screams alerted me to the fact that this was not just a little bump. Sure enough there was blood pouring out of his nose as he grabbed on to me for dear life and wailed. I tried rocking him, giving him water, just holding him but he was still crying. Finally after 2 or 3 minutes he accepted the pacifier I gave him and snuggled close to me. We sat there like that for a bit and he even let me wipe the blood off his face, some of it anyway. After five more minutes, he climbed off my lap and went on his merry way. Chasing after his brother and sister, throwing the ball, laughing again.
It amazes me how quickly children bounce back. One minute they are crying and tantruming, the next that beautiful smile is back on their face. It is a trait we adults could stand to adopt. We usually harbor resentments, wallow in our supposed misery, when really we could shake it off and be happy again, laugh carefree like a 2 year old. I know that's a very simplistic and unrealistic perspective but is it really so crazy to just let thing go every once in a while? Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment