Thursday, May 19, 2011

To-do lists

Some weeks things run very smoothly, at other times life feels very hectic. For some reason, this week I have been feeling a little stressed out, like I am always a few steps behind and not quite catching up. Maybe it has to do with the fact that Y's school made me pick him up from school...2 days in a row...when he wasn't really that sick, if at all. It kind if ohrew a wrench into my daily schedule so I was behind on errands and phone calls/emails. Couple that with several meetings, some unexpected things that came up that need immediate attention and two evenings that I spent out of the home and you have one stressed out Mom.
So I did what I always do when I get anxious. I made a to-do list.  A very long list. Then I divided that list into tasks that needed to be done sooner and some that can wait. I made a separate lists for things I will do tomorrow when I have some help and can run errands more efficiently without M tagging along. Then I spent the two hours of M's nap getting started on my list- making phone calls, writing emails, printing and filling out forms.
At the end of the day, I am still feeling a bit overwhelmed but also I know it will get done. Now that it is on a piece of paper instead of floating around my brain, I feel a bit more in control. Some things, like the water filter that has needed to be replaced for two months already and my wig that has not been washed in a while, will have to wait until the more urgent things get resolved. But it will happen. And by then, of course, I will have started a new list.
What's on your agenda these days? How do you stay on top of lists and errands?

No comments:

Post a Comment