Tuesday, December 15, 2009

you've got your hands full

This seems to be everyone's favorite thing to say to me. Listen, I'm really flattered y'all think I'm so busy. And a lot of the time I am. But sometimes I am not.
Like right now when all my kids are blissfully asleep, my apartment is cleaned up and I am sitting here, blogging and just relaxing. I am also trying not to think about the 2 loads of laundry that need to be folded and the 2 cakes I want to bake tonight in preparation for our channukah party. Oh and if you are reading this, dear husband- there are abt 13 boxes of books still waiting to be unpacked before our guests come tomorrow at 8 15 :) Sorry, I am digressing.
Anyway- yesterday I was trying to leave the building with all 3 kiddos in tow and Y was not cooperating. He has become obsessed with the wonderful tree in the lobby of our building and keeps trying to grab the ornaments because he thinks they are balls. So I grabbed him, maneuvered the stroller down the steps and as the doorman is holding the door open for me, he says "it's hard for you, no?" Thanks, I really needed to hear that right now.
Today, we had an appointment at the pediatrician for flu shots. The new ped in the practice vaccinates my baby, then Y. and then A. and she is like:" These are all yours? How old are they?" So I dutifully tell her 4.5, 3 and 11 months. So she asks- are you planning on having more? because I think you have enough on your plate for right now.
I am trying to figure out why comments such as these bother me. Aside from the fact that this is an area that is none of their business, there is another aspect.
Maybe it's the fact that they make me feel insecure about my mothering. If I had it all together, maybe they wouldn't say "you have your hands full" because I would make it look easy. The fact that someone notices us and decides to comment on my crew, sometime can feel like they are implying that I cannot possibly manage my children.
I know that that is not true. We are busy, noisy and messy but everyone is clothed, fed, happy and loved. The things that need to get done, get done and I even manage to write, knit and get some sleep. I also am learning to get the help that I need.
I am not superwoman (not even close) but I do get through the day, sometimes for better and sometimes for worse.
So I guess I do have my hands full...but I wouldn't really want it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment