Saturday, January 29, 2011

Yoga

The one good thing about my husband being stuck in Los Angeles, was that I started doing yoga again. When I heard that his flight had been canceled yet again, I felt like I needed to get out of the house and needed to DO something. On a whim, I googled yoga studios near our apartment and found one a few blocks away. I found a sitter, went that very afternoon amidst the mayhem of the blizzard, and came home feeling calm and reenergized. And realizing how much I missed practicing yoga. The last time I attended yoga regularly was when I was pregnant with M, which was over 2 years ago!
In general, I feel that I should probably excercize more. Although I do a lot of walking living in Manhattan and also spend a lot of time running after or picking up after the kids, it's not a formal thing.  Devoting an hour and a half a week to my health, both physical and emotional/spiritual seems to be a good idea. I love that the studio offers many classes a day and I have been attending a few different ones to get to know different instructors. Every teacher has their own style and while I have enjoyed all the classes, I still haven't found that one person that I click with. I am also trying to find a consistent time slot that I could realistically attend every week. My weekly schedule is pretty erratic and what works one week doesn't necessarily work the next. But all you can do is try.
What I really like about yoga is that you get a good work-out stretching and strengthening different parts of your body but you also have a chance to focus inwardly, to become aware of your breathing and to practice deep relaxation. I am hoping to even incorporate some of these calming techniques into my life. They may come in handy for scenrios like the one I am about to share.
Just a quick funny story, typical of our chaotic household, where there never is a dull moment: This morning, while I was in the bathroom, the boys went into the showerstall of the other bathroom and turned on the water. As soon as the water started spraying, they ran out, but their shirts still got soaked. I quickly turned off the water, so the damage was minimal but they had to get changed again in order to go to shul. When I told a friend this story, she asked me how I reacted. That is when i realized that I had not even gotten angry. I just laughed about it. I mean, how else can you react when you see two boys in fancy dress pants and dress shirts that are so wet they are see through, looking up at you innocently.
Let's just hope I can keep my sense of humor and tolerance level intact amidst all the craziness. What do you have going on this week? Any yoga on your schedule?

No comments:

Post a Comment